Saturday, June 4, 2016

Do Time Lords Sleep?

     So, I finally graduated yesterday (Yay! Congratulations me!) so I should have plenty of time to update, and I already have a stockpile of half written blog posts in the drafts section, so prepare for a mass update!
     Anyway, this post was brought to you by fanfiction, where most of it is bad and people don't do their research (says the girl who writes fanfiction for EVERYTHING). I am mostly joking, by the way. It is definitely understandable that not everyone has no life and actually pays attention/ researches these sorts of things.
     In most fanfictions, the author insinuates that either the Doctor does not sleep, for lack of necessity, or requires much less sleep than humans, and a very select few figure that Time Lords likely need about the same amount of sleep as humans, but whether the Doctor actually receives that amount is also under question. One of these is actually correct. I just don't understand why people think that Time Lords wouldn't need to sleep. Like, at all. I understand that we don't really see him sleeping that often, but it's not like his companions are just dozing off during every adventure, and no one questions that. We don't see every moment of the characters' lives, because that would make for a rather boring show. But basically every living creature needs sleep, and considering Time Lords are very similar to humans physiologically, I'd say it's a safe bet that this holds true in Doctor Who for the Gallifreyans. And even if you don't think about it that logically, he HAS slept on camera.
   I distinctly remember the Third Doctor having a nightmare (something only achieved by slumber) about the Master in...The Time Monster? I believe that was the episode. And let's not forget after every single regeneration, although someone could argue this is more of a concussed state than actual slumber. I believe I recall the First Doctor sleeping in at least one episode as well, but because I rarely watch his seasons (I really ought to get on that), I couldn't even begin to remember which episode it might have been and Google hates me.
     Either way, all this evidence doesn't really matter, because it has been stated in-show that Time Lords need less sleep than humans, although I can not pinpoint which episode states this, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
     It doesn't really matter though, I suppose. Likely, it is not usually important to the story line, same as the companions, so we likely won't see much of a sleepy Doctor unless there's a good reason for it, and there will probably be other things going on around the scenario as well. And who am I to dictate others' fanfiction. I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes in mine that I haven't caught yet.
     Until next time, maj ram! (I don't know Gallifreyan, so I went with another science fiction language. I wonder if any of you recognize it).

No comments:

Post a Comment